Masters of Science in Computational Science and Engineering
Application & Admission Information
To be considered for admission to the CSE SM program, prospective students must complete the GradApply electronic application, which includes listing MIT CCSE-affiliated faculty that best match applicants’ research interests.
October 1, 2020: Application for September 2021 admission opens
January 11, 2021: Deadline to apply for September 2021 admission*
Mid-January 2021 – Mid-March 2021: Application review period
Mid-to-Late March 2021: Decisions released via email
*All supplemental materials (e.g., transcripts, test scores, letters of recommendation) must also be received by January 11. Application review begins on that date, and incomplete applications may not be reviewed. Please be sure that your recommenders are aware of this hard deadline, as we do not make exceptions. We also do not allow students to upload/submit material beyond what is required (e.g. degree certificates, extra recommendations, publications, etc.) or after the deadline.
A complete electronic CSE SM application includes the following:
- Three letters of recommendation in PDF format;
- Recommendations must be submitted electronically using the web application system. Go to ‘Letter of Recommendation’ then ‘Letter Status’ to request electronic recommendations as well as to check the status of your recommendation letters. We also encourage applicants to contact letter writers directly to ensure they have received the electronic instructions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to make sure the letters are submitted in a timely manner.
- Transcripts from all colleges / universities attended, uploaded directly to the application in PDF format;
- Students admitted to the program will be required to supply official transcripts. Discrepancies between unofficial and official transcripts may result in the revocation of the admission offer.
GRE General Test score report;GRE REQUIREMENT WAIVED DUE TO COVID-19 Self-reported scores entered in Section 7 ‘Test Scores / Experience’ Official scores sent to MIT by ETS via Institute Code 3514
- IELTS Academic Exam score of 7 or higher DUE TO THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC, WE WILL ACCEPT TOEFL SCORES FOR THE SEPTEMBER 2021 ADMISSION CYCLE (international applicants from non-English speaking countries only; see FAQs page for more information);
- Self-reported score, test date and test report form number entered in Section 7 ‘Test Scores / Experience’
- Official scores sent to MIT from the IELTS
- Completed ‘Subjects Taken’ section;
- Statement of objectives (limited to approximately one page);
- Resume or CV, uploaded in PDF format;
- MIT graduate application fee of $75.
- The fee is a mandatory requirement set by the Institute, CCSE cannot grant fee waivers.
- The application fee can be paid by MasterCard or Visa.
Receipt of your application will be automatically acknowledged via email, however the status of your application will not be changed to complete until we have received all pieces listed above. You can return to the application site to check the status of your recommendation letters and review your application for completeness. While it may be possible for you to make updates to portions of your application after you have submitted it, please realize your application may have already been reviewed and therefore the updates will not be seen. Please do everything possible to ensure your application is final when you hit the submit button.
Degree Requirements for Admission
To be admitted as a regular graduate student, an applicant must have earned a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent from a college, university, or technical school of acceptable standing. Students in their final year of undergraduate study may be admitted on the condition that their bachelor’s degree is awarded before they enroll at MIT.